Sunday, June 04, 2006

17th June 4 candlelight vigil 2006

I just came back from the June 4 candlelight vigil in Victoria Park. This was the 17th such memorial events since 1989. We will never forget.



This MV of Anita Mui's rendition of 《血染的風采》 was shown tonight at the vigil. It's a must see. (Many other great videos can be downloaded from RebuildHK.)

I would also like to cross-link these touching remarks from Prof. Ding Zilin of "Tiananmen Mothers" and Wang Dan:

丁子霖『六四』十七周年致香港同胞書
王丹「六四」十七周年燭光集會講話

Prof Ding said: 「說出真相,拒絕遺忘,尋求正義,呼喚良知」 To speak the truth. To refuse to forget. To pursue justice. And, to call on all's conscience. That sums it all up.

To those people who still skirt the ugly truth of June 4 by talking about the economic progress that China (or even Hong Kong) has seen in the last 17 years since 1989, they really need to answer to their own conscience. An example: "他[曾蔭權]亦指出,六四發生後這17年來,內地發生很大變化,本港亦保持繁榮穩定,他相信港人會作出客觀判斷。" (as quoted from Ming Pao)

For me, I am not ashamed to say that I have joined all the candlelight vigils since 1995 when I returned to Hong Kong (except for one year). Whatever I may become, I will not deny my own deeds. However, I really hope I don't have to join the vigil next year, because if there is no vigil, that means the verdict on June 4 has been reversed, and justice will be done. Oh, how we long for that day, and the new China of that day.

PS Technology and the Internet are such great tools to help make sure we cannot deny what has happened. Please watch these clips:

4-6-1989 TVB 六四特別新聞報導
[MV] 毋忘六四17年...自由花 Never Forget Tiananmen Square 1989

民主中國-《中國夢》

2 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Catitude said...

Charles, no, I think we should keep observing the vigil even after justice is done. We will want the future generations to remember the mistake made, the efforts needed to rectify it, and why it must be rectified, so that the mistake is not to be repeated ever again.

See you again in two weeks.

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Charles Mok said...

Thanks Carla. I will be there on June 4, of course!

Charles

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->