Friday, April 28, 2006

Family visit in New Hampshire

I visited my youngest brother, (Dr.) Henry, in Londonderry, New Hampshire and had a great time with his two young kids, Jonathan (2 1/2 years old) and Lauren (4 weeks!).





I lived in Boston from 1989 to 1990, and the area has changed quite a bit since then, which was probably during the lowest point of the economy in the last twenty years. Right out of college, I was working for Digital Equipment Corp. then in a small town called Shrewsbury as a software engineer for the Thin Film Heads advanced manufacturing operation. All the big mini-computer companies that were symbols of Massachusetts' "Route 128" high-tech miracle were coming down crashing. I was lucky to be able to move out to DEC's sales operations in Silicon Valley just in time.

But today, while I cannot say I can see any sign of a high-flying New England economy, what I do see is very high property prices. These are signs of a bubble coming, and if a burst is to come, do you think it will burst in a place like this first or New York or Silicon Valley?

Anyway, I am going to round out my US trip in these two weeks by going to a meeting in Reston, Virginia (right out of Washington, D.C.); my old college town West Lafayette, Indiana; Austin, Texas; and finally my US home away from home, Fremont, California in the Bay Area. It's almost a retracing of the three places that I have spent time in my thirteen years in the US: Indiana, Massachusetts and Northern California. It will be interesting to observe how much things have changed, and how much I have changed over these more than twenty years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->