Friday, February 17, 2006

The History Boys, National Theatre of Britain

Tonight, my friend Ben treated me to a performance of The History Boys by the National Theatre of Britain in the Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts as part of the 2006 Hong Kong Arts Festival. It is my first ever English play. I truly didn't know what to expect, but it was much better than I thought I would be able to enjoy. I am now going back to Google to look at reviews and commentaries to try to get more of what the play was really trying to say and what I must have missed.



What is education for these sixth form boys --learning vs. getting into Oxford/Cambridge (not even your average universities)? What is about learning history? Sprinkle on it some spices about some 'unusual relationships' between the teachers and the boys. In any pairs of average hands, the story will be, well, just average. But here they made it as mind-provoking and entertaining as can be. One thing about it is that the more one thinks back about the performance, the more one thinks, hey, there was something more in it.

Not being a 'reviewer' I don't really know how to describe it. But it was a truly professional, impressive and memorable production. Very well done indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->